Friday 4 March 2016

Urban Errand Foraging

An Urban Errand Forage

Would you believe it!
On my way to the local store I'm greeted by some wonderful wild greens. Yes it's February (ok my post is a little out of sync as I had a computer crisis but it is all sorted now hoorah) and wild edibles are not as scarce as you may think. I've got my eyes peeled to the ground as I walk to the local supermarket (I won't name it as they get enough PR) scanning the ground some winter wonders lurking in the cracks and crannies of the pavements. Bingo! I find a trail of lovely hairy bitter-cress. It is pressed against the wall of someones garden between their exterior wall and the pavement.  I raise my eyes with glee and continue to the shop. I go down a  'cut through' (a path between houses) and spot at least four more clusters of this amazing edible.  I've got my eye on these young developing hopefuls. I''ll be watching them grow bright and bushy while I build up an appetite for a lovely salad or pesto dish ...slurp. During my contemplation it occurs to me "what happens if the local council obliterates them as a pest"? I better watch these lovelies very carefully and just when the time is right I'll bag them.

Fig.1. L.Moore. Hairy Bittercress with a 2p coin for scale 

Fig.2. L.Moore A close up of Hairy Bittercress  
I get what I need from the local supermarket and continue my journey home. I decide to walk a different route between more houses and a few little streets. It's surprising what you might find when you change your walking habits. I think I see something I recognize in the distance and my pace quickens. Yes I am sure it's what I think...I get closer and hanging over a garden wall are the most amazing passionflowers. These make wonderful teas and decoctions and are well known for their sedative qualities. I will often make myself a passionflower decoction which really does help me relax and sleep better. If you come across these  potent flowers then pick them and dry them out and use for drinking. I will include these in another blog about decoctions and health benefits. Be sure to ask permission if they are in someones garden and try to keep away from busy roads that pollute. This time of year I just use the leaves as the flowers are not out yet. Such a wonderful  plant.

Fig.3. L.Moore Passionflowers  
Fig.4. L.Moore A close up of Passionflowers leaves 

Fig 5. L.Moore A closer image of a Passionflower leaf
I cross a little road then down a path and come out on another street. I see another gap between some houses and take a wander down the concrete path and turn a corner. To my right I see a tiny grass verge. Woah ... Sitting pretty on the grass is a bunch of 'wood sorrel'. I can't believe my luck. Yum I will be back for this to create yet another creative edible and have a good chomp. This is such a treat. Wood Sorrel has a real lemon kick to it due to the oxalic acid in it and it is a high concentration of vitamin C. Providing you don't eat too much of this amazing edible it packs a real zingy punch to any salad.   

Fig 6 .L.Moore Wood Sorrel
Fig 7. L.Moore Wood Sorrel Closer 
                     Fig 8.L.Moore Close up of Wood Sorrel
Fig 9. L.Moore Wood Sorrel scaled to a 10 pence piece 
I will be posting about these edibles when I create an incredible edible adding more information about them so look out for it. Ta Dah...






No comments:

Post a Comment