Thursday 24 March 2016

Dulse pesto

Dulse Pesto




L.Moore. Fig 1. Dulse pesto
Where has March gone?

The day's have flown and here we are  at the latter end of the month and Easter is upon us. Let's celebrate spring. Such an exciting season full of edible wonders. I have not had chance to forage much so far this month. However I do pluck some amazing chickweed, hairy bittercress and wood sorrel on my way to the local shop and make a yummy salad with it. At least three time this month I have chomped on this lovely salad with this amazing seashore pesto and courgette ribbons...a winner every time. I am so excited about Spring and I can't wait to bag me a load of wild garlic...it is to die for. In fact I am going away for the Easter weekend (glamping) LOL. This is all new to me but I am sooooo looking forward to it. It will be out in the country among a wild wood and streams so I can hopefully anticipate some fantastic edibles.

Me and my partner went to Cornwall in December last year because we heard the fish is so fresh you are eating it not long after it has been caught. Yes we are right foodies so we will travel a fair distance to tantalize our taste buds. We stayed in a beach residence really close to the beach. From our window we coukld see the tide coming in and out with a truly superb moonlit sky.  I managed to drag my partner out of bed in the morning to scour the rocks, sands and shallow waters for seaweed. We came bag with a bucket load which is now hanging up in my back room all dried out. I can use it anytime in a variety of wonderful ways. Dulse is the red seaweed and it is so versatile. I crush it up and add it to my rock salt in my recipies. I also use it in my broths, stews and casseroles. But recently I made this Dulse wonder and overdosed on it for three consecutive days.

Fig. 2. L.Moore Dulse pesto with Basil & Parmesan Cheese

Fig.3. L.Moore, as above

Fig.4.L.Moore, as above

Fig.5.L.Moore, Dulse pesto

Fig.6. L.Moore Dulse Pesto

Fig.7.L.Moore Dulse Pesto on crackers 

Dulse Pesto

In a bowl add the following ingredients and mix together with a hand blender. Add the grated Parmesan cheese last and stir it in with a spoon. You can change the consistency by adding more oil, more cheese etc.
To hydrate your dried Dulse put it in a heatproof  bowl (or cup) and add boiling water and stand for 15 minutes. Then add to your ingredients. You can experiment with these ingredients perhaps replacing the pine nuts with other nuts or herbs.

I tried this on crackers with some goats cheese and it was delicious. I also used it in a stir fry with my courgette  ribbons. I made my ribbons. I then Fried garlic with coconut oil and added my pesto. Then I added some Kale and stirred for a few minutes. Then I added my ribbons for a minute and squeezed some lemon through my stir fry. I plated up and added some grated parmesan. Boy it was delicious. I should have taken a photograph.  

25g pine nuts
4-5 cloves of garlic
15g basil
15g parsley
50g of hydrated dulse seaweed
10tbs of good quality olive oil
1 tsp of dried chilli flakes
2 tbs lime juice
a handful of grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Identifying Dulse also known as Dillisk

Dulse is a dark reddish brown. It has leathery thin, flat fronds that are divided into lobes about 30mm wide and up to 1m long.You can find Dulse on the beach around the British Isles but absent from the less rocky coasts of Eastern England. It resides above and below the low tidemark, on rocks but also on the stripes of the cuvie Laminaria hyperborea. I live in south eastern england and I am a fair distance from any coasline. I got my Dulse in Cornwall during December last year while I was away for the weekend. I bagged quite a lot to last me until my next coastal visit. Other red seaweeds such as Carrageen is usually found in toothpaste, ice cream, milkshakes, and processed foods due to it's gelatinous quality that functions as a thickener, stabilizer, and setting agent. Dulse is also fab for drying out. I hang mine up in the shower to dry off...a bit of a shock for any visitor LOL. It is also great to grind and/or use as flakes and add it to your salt.

So next time your at the beach have a scour for Dulse you will be surprised what you find. Us Brits don't make the most of our coastlines. Our coastlines are a haven for the sea forager. The nurtional benefits of Dulse is amazing. I have included a link so you can have a look at the nutritional benefits of Dulse. It has a lot of Iodine & Potassium and vitamin E, IU, Vitamin A, IU, Vitamin B1 ,B2 ,B6, B12 mg and vitamin C.

Fig 8. L.Moore Dulse soaking in my sink 
Fig.9.L.Moore More Dulse in my sink

Source material
 Irving, M. (2009) The Foragers Handbook: A Guide To The Edible Plants Of Britain ,Ebury Press,  pp.369-370
https://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=15&chapter=5




    

No comments:

Post a Comment